Gauss Loudspeakers the first the best


Gauss Loudspeakers


Gauss Loudspeakers 4.25 inch coil

Cetec Gauss an inovation in speaker technology from the 1970s and early 80s.
Double Spider Technology

The first to have the double spider to keep the voice coil alignment from blowing out under high excursion. It keeps sound quality throughout high volume vibration.
The tough suround and glaze suround coating so durable till this day stood up to the thumping power of 800 watts music program power.
Yes I know now there are 1000 watt speakers out there but 200- 300 watts is the power thats used. An amplifier needs to bee more than 300 watts to give clean without clipping distortion a volume thats satisfied.
It wasnt the great looks, tough layered paper cone and thick glazed ridged surround, or the silver aluminum 4.25 inch dust cover.
It was the claim at that time of largest voice coil in the industry of 4.25 inch. A quarter inch bigger than the standard 4 inch voice coil. The double spider technolgy to prevent blowout. It was the engine case cover over the newer N magnet technology of that time. The Heavy gauge basket that holds this beast into place. The color coded + - inputs placed separate on opposite sides of the speaker.
Last the claim of testing I would never attempt myself of chancing hearing loss. The 10 minute test of each speaker in full 800 watts music power before each speaker leaves the Gauss production plant.

Gauss 4281 800 watts
Older model number 2841

In my purchace of a concert series pair at New Yorks A S.T. sound (audio sound techtronics) off Canal street on 250 West Broadway corner. A salesman quoted" They start to sound better after 200 watts, they were right. A.S.T was the top equipment spot in NYC Manhattan.

EV MT4
First time I was there A.S.T was demonstrating a EV MT4 as I held my heart at 18 years old while the bass was going through my chest and raising my hair till this day I hope I never get within 20 feet of the monster while its on again. A.S.T. was the real deal and showed no mercy when testing or in demo of the equipment. Tops in speaker original equipment repair and building cabinets with the finest birch wood and thick gauge steel fence covers all made to your specs if needed.
The pamplets on the table appetizing to pick up gave me the info I needed to choose the driver I wanted.
D.A.S  A10 800 watts @8ohm
4 inch voice coil
My personal favorites was looking at the Soundcraftsmen mosfet power line,
(mosfet output clean(no hiss) sound like tube amps).
also the QSC 3800 series 3 power line,
Soundcraftsmen mosfet output 
375watts per ch @8ohm
with l.e.d. analyzer
passive fin cooling (no fan)

QSC 3800 series 3, dual mono
375 watts per ch @8ohm
600w @4ohm, 900w @2ohm
Passive fin cooling (no fan)
Who owns 2 of these

In easy explanation of the ohm, Why? cause I blew earlier house amps not knowing. Amplifier ohm specs are a need to know.
See if you wire 2 speakers together on 1 channel it splits from 8ohm to 4ohm, and in this amp watts double 300w to 600w giving still 300w per speaker. Again wire 4 speakers on 1 ch splits to 2ohm and 900w giving 225w per speaker. If the amp is only 8ohm spec and you wire more the output saturates and bye bye sound. I learned from working with a master tech Ernesto, and Axel, at audio tech giant -
Analogique systems labs in NYC
Founded by the late Jean Pierre
Analogique systems labs NYC

the EV MT4 as I explained the demo of the 4 18 inch manifold monster, The D.A.S. (dynamic and sound) speakers from Spain with its 4 inch voice coil and 4 inch silver dust cap in a 10 inch frame, and the Cetec Gauss concert series 12 inch bass 4280, and 4281 lead highs to bass range screamer.
See what I noticed in the specs were that it was the same power and design in the 12,15, and 18 inch basket size. So in need of the same power in a smaller size I chose the 12 inch line.
The frequency range of 20-6800 is a low to high mids giving great bass to the range of  crisp screaming instruments and voice. Almost like having a full range Speaker.

Gauss 4580
The screaming range of the 12 inch 4281 drivers that I can mobile in the back seat of the car and shake the place of the unsuspecting venue I played. When all I had to be sure of is a need for extra tweeters and compression drivers because I knew the bass would play reliable against almost any amp, unless challenged by the 1080 watt @8ohm Crown 3600 amp.
I bought speakers before I bought amps and realized I didnt have enough power to run these Gauss beasts. Buying a Crown 200 watt amp was clipping distortion at level 8 and had to sell it and get at least a over 300 @ 8 ohm per channel amp. The Gauss speakers were true that they needed at least over 200 watt mark to feel the thumping of the bass in my chest with no clipping no distortion clean and tight sound.
To this day theGauss woofers sit there if with arms cross saying well is that all you got? Laughing reminiscing of times when all the tweeters blew out and the bass was still going through my chest scrambling  to dig for extra spare tweeters.
Bass Horn Cabinet

I almost bought the D.A.S. A10 pair and 35 years later found the only pair for sale on the ebay planet in the box. But I only use those for light home use in horn cabinets. The Gauss woofers still in the birch wood cabinets I bought all separate at A.S.T. and I assembled  myself in the early 1980s.


Fender replaced JBL
with Gauss drivers
Color code orange
With fender logo

Recognize in the industry to the point that Fender replaced JBL e120 drivers,  a still awesome sound high range, to the Gauss drivers in thier fender cabinets as a more reliable unit for their guitar amp cabinets.
JBL e120
400 watts
fender orange
I believe in the late 90s or early 21st century Cetec Gauss being a high priced item people couldnt get up the knowledge and money to buy these that would out live their owner. Gauss would give in to their rival EV (electro voice) and EV would buy the Gauss company and shut it down. An end of an era of the greatest speaker that in truth will out live its owner. A world where like in cars the money is not in buying the unit but in the other brands repairs need in wear tear and blowouts.

Full Range Carbon Fiber cone bullet

Not that there are not very good sounding speakers still. If you have a good taste in audio sound for home listening and theater video systems there are nice speakers with lower watts with a full range spec of low bass to highs of 50 low - 18000 highs so in 1 driver you can have a full range without buying 3 different speakers because that 1 speaker gives you bass, voice instruments, and tweeter sybols  all in 1 driver.
I searched many driver specs and found a driver with carbon fiber cone, rubber surround, and bullet voice coil at 75watts. The frequency range is a low 50 to 20000 hertz.
The power amp I found to drive these I bought a mosfet output soundcraftmen passive cooling(no fan) 60 watt power amp for the TV video theater and vinyl easy playing.
An easy Technics turntable with an elipticle needle sounds crisp, does job in sound quality without putting a dent in the pocket.

Full range carbon fiber bullet
Soundcraftmen mosfet amp
Technics SL 1800mk2 
with eliptical needle

Technics 1200LTD Limited 
gold plated plater and mechanism
Piano Lacquer finish (late 1990s)

First model 1200 LTD reset pitch button


Gold Turntable Platter



Again I say im proud to have spent the money even in a layaway plan to order my Gauss concert series loudspeakers and never expected to have to put them in a legal will to hand them down to someone worthy, for the Gauss will out live the owner. -
 - Joey Pagan NYC

Comments